We define professional development as the systematic maintenance, improvement and extending of competency (knowledge, skills and attitudes) and the development of self and personal qualities necessary for the effective execution of professional and technical duties throughout a professional’s working life.
We offer a range of materials with a focus on building participant effectiveness regardless of job classification. More than training in process and systems, these materials prepare individuals to consider their personal attributes, preferences and contributions and how to align these and develop those required to achieve their professional and personal aspirations.
In 2005 ODR's director Delia Mozer commissioned research with successful women in predominantly the Queensland workforce to identify "What Works For Women?"
The women who courageously shared their experiences with us identified those factors they considered critical to their success. Six key behaviours were identified at the time.
ODR continues to research what works and this community continues the conversation about what makes a woman effective in leadership. We welcome diverse voices and since inception we have encouraged gender equality in expressing their views, welcoming men and women to share their experience here.
Access to the community is free. Press the "Buy Course" or "Add to cart" button and follow the registration process.
This program is about participant success - achievement, mastery and happiness in their professional lives. It provides tools and techniques for personal power to create what you want for your life. What are the ingredients of personal and professional excellence? Participants explore the leverage tools to success that, if practiced build greater credibility and interpersonal effectiveness.
- The components of personal effectiveness
- Realizing Your Strengths and Fulfilling Your Potential
- Evaluating your aptitudes, styles and potential growth areas
- Applying the Multiple Intelligences Model
- Uncovering the talent paradox
- The effects of personal styles
- Building Your Professional Effectiveness
- The core elements of professional excellence
- Operating with ethics and integrity
- Developing your professional power
- Working Productively with Others
- Enhancing your thinking tool set
- Enhancing your emotional intelligence
- Interpreting behavior and language to understand motives and intentions
- Managing different personal styles
- Achieving Results in Pressure Situations
- Working together to get results
- Identifying important players in your work environment
- Working with difficult coworkers
- Countering corporate game-playing
- Making meetings work for you
- Building Your Professional Reputation
- Demonstrating political intelligence
- Managing disagreement productively
- Making Your Point with Confidence and Impact
- Secrets of successful proposal writing
- Matching your presentation approach to audience needs and moods
- Creating the Results You Want
- Assembling a personal success strategy
- Aligning strengths and purpose
- Choosing your professional and personal future
- Harness the power of positive psychology to find balance and renewal
- Committing to action
To get to YES, you must learn to appreciate that NO is truly an abbreviation of Negotiable.
We are conditioned to say "NO” as a safe option when we may not understand the facts, benefits or complexity of a situation. The skills of a negotiator is to educate and lead the opposing person through their logic, objections and paradigms before they may start to appreciate the offer.
Learn the different styles of negotiating and how to determine your own style to better understand its effectiveness in achieving outcomes. Negotiation is now an integral part of most jobs and career development. Whether you are negotiating a lease, purchasing from a supplier, outsourcing, delivery time, buying equipment or interpersonal relations, you should be competent and prepared to negotiate.
This workshop will outline and provide the keys to persuasive negotiation using persuasive skills to secure mutually agreeable outcomes.
- Determine your negotiation knowledge and skills level
- Identify your negotiating style
- Learn how to prepare for and conduct successful negotiations
- Explorer effective negotiation techniques
- Apply your negotiation skills
- Assess your strengths and potential areas for improvement
- Know when to use different negotiation approaches
- Become more effective in resolving personal and professional conflicts
- Understand negotiating and how it works
- Understand the use of power in resolving differences
- Practices negotiating skills in simulated negotiation situations
The ability to deliver information to achieve maximum impact is a skill that everybody can use, yet many find it difficult to master. Most people find it difficult to present their ideas in an interesting, concise, enthusiastic and logical way. This one day practical workshop explores how to organize your information content and how to deliver that content in a clear, concise and convincing manner with powerful techniques of presentation that could transform the way your audience listens, and responds.
By the end of the program, participants feel increased confidence and can deliver dynamic presentations to even the most challenging audiences.
- Learn and practice the skills to engage your audience.
- Understanding how to manage your body language, voice and pitch to achieve engagement.
- Delivery essentials that build rapport and add to the message
- Improved presenting skills by using additional visual aid
- Design effective and engaging presentation
- Better topic based presentation without getting sidetracked
- Present with credibility, composure and clarity
- How to plan and structure a presentation for engagement and impact
- How to crystallize your objectives for a presentation How to structure your presentation for maximum effect
- How to determine audience requirements to be able to target your message and be heard
- Hints and tips to ensure your next presentation is a winner
Effective Meeting Management program develops participant ability to plan and conduct meetings that achieve specific objectives and do so as efficiently as possible. ODR Meeting Management workshop will make you learn effective techniques to save valuable time and getting best results.
- Learn to prepare for a meeting well in advance to overcome unnoticeable issues like parking, conference room, projector/ laptops etc.
- Learn "the art of making things easy” to extract most out of one meeting.
- Enhance your skills in preparing agenda for the meeting without missing any important point.
- Learn to make the most of your meeting using games, activities and prizes Understand complete meeting cycle from sending invite , chairing, preparing minutes of meeting to conclusion.
- Having better understanding of meeting roles and responsibilities Identifying problem or behaviour issues among attendees.
- Learn about organizing and conducting a virtual meeting.
In this hands-on business writing program participants hone their writing skills into a more powerful communication tool. Workshop content includes improving ability to write in the business environment managing expectations and message content and delivery to increase the chances for gaining a clear concise message.
Develop skills in planning, writing and editing a range of business documents so that they meet the professional standard required by your organisation. Focus on readability, key messages, logical sequencing of information and the production of clear, concise documents that meet the readers' needs
- Identify your main communication purpose
- Highlight key, simple messages
- Identify the appropriate information required in different sections of a document
- Apply powerful techniques for writing clearly and concisely
- Use a simple quality control tool to evaluate the effectiveness of your documents and those of others
- Apply simple proofreading techniques
- Learn professional E-mail writing
- Learn appropriate format to use for agendas, email messages, business letters, business proposals, and business reports.
An essential aspect of communication in any successful organisation is targeted, persuasive writing. An essential component of a professional's core tasks is writing reports that get read and get results. This practical hands-on workshop outlines the skills required to create business reports that persuade and sizzle.
- Capture the reader's attention
- Avoid sounding pompous
- Get to the point quickly and accurately
- Treat intended audiences to a crystal clear message
- Overcome writer's block
- Analysing competing proposals
- Drafting and revising an informal letter proposal
- Distilling your case into an executive summary
- Constructing a formal proposal that wins the commitment of the reader
Be confident you know the process for managing challenging work dilemmas and behavior.
A company's ethics will determine its reputation and recent events such as Enron have seen the costly impact of poor business ethics. This workshop provides the toolkit by which you will be empowered to know what to do when confronted with the ethical dilemmas that today's business environment brings.
Be confident in the process and approach you take to establishing and sustaining an ethical culture. Review the key ethical challenges faced by businesses and identify the range of initiatives that will encourage employees to make the best ethical decisions.
- Identify ethical risks for your organization
- Identify the most common and challenging aspects of implementing a business ethics program
- Explore the challenges that employees may face when promoting or adhering to principle- based decision making
- Explore the connection between organisational values and organisational ethical accountabilities
- Differentiate between morality, ethics and legal accountabilities
- Encourage, measure and monitor ethical behaviour in your organization
- Examine Corporate Social Responsibility- Stakeholder expectations for organizational contribution towards development of Society
- Explore ethical problem solving models that can be applied in situations of concern
- Examine "The ladder of escalation” and how it assists in responding to perceived issues.